If southern hospitality is your cup of (sweet) tea, then Alabama is perfect for you. Also known as the “Heart of Dixie”, Alabama boasts a rich historical background. In 1965, the infamous “Selma to Montgomery March” led by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., ended at the steps of the state capitol. Alabama was also where Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on a city bus, sparking a yearlong bus boycott in Montgomery that eventually led to the American Civil Rights Movement.
- Try to avoid moving in March, April, May or November, as these tend to be high-storm months. October may be the best month to move, as this is often the driest, most mild month of the year.
- Alabama has one of the highest hurricane, tornado and thunderstorm frequencies in the nation, so you’ll want to familiarize yourself with the weather patterns before moving.
Change your address online. To make your move from California to Alabama easier, consider changing your address online. It is easy to do, inexpensive, and will ensure that your mail arrives to your new home with you.
Cost of Living
The cost of living in Alabama is lower than the national average by about 12 percent. However, keep in mind that the average salary tends to be lower here as well. Huntsville has one of the highest yearly salary averages in the state, while Gulf Shores has one of the lowest.
The state of Alabama does not have a minimum wage, so the current federal minimum wage is used. Tipped employees in Alabama(meaning the majority of your wage is based on tips) do not necessarily earn the full minimum wage, and the hourly wage can be as low as $2.13.
Alabama is hot and humid with heavy rainfall. The state endures frequent and extreme weather storms in the form of tropical storms, hurricanes and thunder storms. Most parts of the state also see the occasional tornado. Rain often comes in a torrential downpour, but usually only lasts for a short while before the sun and humidity take over again. Hurricane warnings and drills are regularly performed to keep you up-to-date on proper safety precautions and evacuation routes when necessary.
Many Alabama schools, especially elementary and high schools, have improved considerably in math, science and reading. College football is the most famous sport in the state, with the usual competition between University of Alabama and Auburn University. Every year more than 100,000 fans gather to witness the game at Bryant-Denny and Jordan-Hare stadiums.
Current school rankings (elementary, middle and high schools), campus and district zoning/location maps, information and reviews are available online for parents moving to Alabama:
Top 5 High Schools in Alabama
- Loveless Academic Magnet Progressive High School in Montgomery
- Mountain Brook High School in Mountain Brook
- New Century Tech Demo High School in Huntsville
- Vestavia Hills High School in Vestavia Hills
- Bob Jones High School in Madison
For an Alabama government overview and information on moving to Missouri, legal requirements and helpful links, visit the Official Alabama State Website.
- Find out about Alabama Voting Registration and polling centers
- Be sure you have all the necessary Trip and Fuel Permits
- To apply for a Alabama driver’s license or to register your vehicle, visit the Alabama DMV Website website for more information.
Other Alabama Government Resources: